Artist Initiative Grants
This program supports and assists artists at various stages in their careers. It encourages artistic development, nurtures artistic creativity, and recognizes the contributions individual artists make to the creative environment of the state of Minnesota.
Grants will be awarded for career building and for the creative development of artists. Some artists may choose to request funds to create new work, but that isn’t a requirement of the program. Artists working in all artistic disciplines—dance, media arts, music, photography, poetry, prose, theater, and two- and three-dimensional visual arts—may apply.
Who can apply
An applicant is eligible to apply for an Artist Initiative grant if the individual is:
- A professional artist applying as an individual;
- At least 18 years of age;
- A current Minnesota resident for a minimum of six months who will remain a resident throughout the contract period;
- A U.S. citizen, or individual who has attained permanent resident status.
An applicant may submit only one Artist Initiative grant proposal per fiscal year.
FY 2015 Application Deadlines
- Literary arts; poetry and prose: 4:30 p.m., June 13, 2014
- Performing arts; dance, music, and theater: 4:30 p.m., July 11, 2014
- Visual arts; media arts, photography, and visual arts: 4:30 p.m., Friday, August 1, 2014
The Arts Board will not accept applications that are not submitted and accepted by the online WebGrants system before the 4:30 p.m. deadline.
All applicants are required to use the WebGrants system to apply, and will submit all materials electronically. Registration is required of all applicants before beginning an application to any Arts Board program. It is only necessary to register once.
Two online tutorials are available to acquaint users with the WebGrants system:
- How to register as a WebGrants user: online tutorial, pdf version
- How to use WebGrants: online tutorial, pdf version
FY 2015 Overview and Instructions (PDF)—all applicants should read this document thoroughly before beginning the application.
See the full list of sample applications.
If you have questions or need assistance
If you have questions about the content of the application form or narrative, please contact:
Kathee Foran, program officer
If you have questions about financial forms or required financial documents, please contact:
Dave White, director, finance and grants administration
If you have questions about the technical aspects of the application forms, or questions about electronic submission, please e-mail the Arts Board at:
You may also call the following staff, but e-mail is preferred.
Tom Miller, project manager
All staff can be reached toll-free at (800) 866-2787.
Apply online at http://apply.mnartsboard.com/index.do.